To get in touch
About London Road
The London Road area of West Croydon is seeing the benefits of over £4.7 m worth of regeneration which is transforming the area into an even greater place to live, work, visit and do business.
London Road is one of Croydon’s busiest high streets – it is located close to Croydon’s commercial centre, has excellent transport links, a vibrant character and an established business community.
The parade of shops along the high street offer a variety of exotic foods and a range of services and this website aims to showcase what London Road has to offer and celebrates the positive changes that are taking place in the area.
Transforming London Road
Following the riots of 2011, Croydon Council has been working with the Mayor of London and other partners to help transform the area for residents, businesses and visitors. As part of the Connected Croydon programme, £3.2 million is being invested in to improve the street, shop and building fronts along London Road. The aim is to create a high street that is more appealing with safer and more functional public spaces for businesses, pedestrians and cyclists.
Supporting businesses and revitalising the high street
In addition, £1.5 million has been invested in delivering the following projects that have helped to bring about real positive changes to local residents and the business community:
The West Croydon Improvement Programme (WCIP) – a package of projects aim to:
• create more jobs and start-ups
• provide job brokerage and wage subsidies to encourage employers to recruit local residents;
• establish an Enterprise Hub where people can access free information and advice and make use of IT facilities;
• mentor young people to make positive choices after leaving school;
• reduce crime and improve the environment;
• provide small grants for volunteer and community groups.
The London Road Business Support Project which is part of a wider Retail Support Programme has delivered a retail and business survey that was used to inform WCIP and deliver a tailored business support package for 25 selected traders on London Road. The traders received free 1-2-1 business support that included:
• assistance with environmental health audits and support to draw up action plans;
• food handling training and Level 2 certification to meet higher standards;
• a review of their store layout and a redesign to help reduce crime and improve sales;
• visual display training and props;
• streamlined merchandising and pricing systems;
• rebranding and new marketing displays;
• web development and social media training;
• and a further £32,000 worth of grants for physical improvements as appropriate for their business.
The various initiatives continue to support, grow and promote the retail businesses on London Road.
A new brand for London Road
The investment has also helped fund the new brand logo for London Road and this exciting new website which aims to help boost trade and encourage more people to visit and use the shops and services in the area.
This website aims to showcase and celebrate all things London Road. If you would like to advertise your business or promote a local event please contact the team using the contact details above.